Anyone else use a mac?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

bulls.bears2011
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Anyone else use a mac?

Post by bulls.bears2011 »

Hey, I am just wondering about the community here. Does anyone else use a mac other than me? I am very curious, because Xcode ( Apple's development suite ) is really wierd, and having someone I could talk to about it would be great.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Anyone else use a mac?

Post by avansc »

bulls.bears2011 wrote:Hey, I am just wondering about the community here. Does anyone else use a mac other than me? I am very curious, because Xcode ( Apple's development suite ) is really wierd, and having someone I could talk to about it would be great.
i dont use a mac, cant afford it, but from what i hear, XCode is a awesome IDE.
im saving up to by the new macbook pro. 2.8K ouch.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Just get the regular macbook--the only real difference is the pro has firewire.

I want one so bad, but I'll be damned if I have the money for another computer at the moment.

Sigh.
There is no signature.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

DJ Yoshi wrote:Just get the regular macbook--the only real difference is the pro has firewire.

I want one so bad, but I'll be damned if I have the money for another computer at the moment.

Sigh.
huh? the pro has faster CPU, more ram. bigger HDD, much better graphics card.
Willshire The Mad
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Some basic flash projects for school
Favorite Gaming Platforms: X-Box 360 for now

Post by Willshire The Mad »

I gots me a mac book pro. Most of my time on it is devoted to graphic design stuff. Many of my friends seem to hate macs but I cant say I have had a problem with mine at all. its just a pain in the ass to find good games for it.
Spork
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Willshire The Mad wrote:I gots me a mac book pro. Most of my time on it is devoted to graphic design stuff. Many of my friends seem to hate macs but I cant say I have had a problem with mine at all. its just a pain in the ass to find good games for it.
bootcamp
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Willshire The Mad wrote:its just a pain in the ass to find good games for it.
I think Macs aren't meant for games. I have a feeling they are more specialized for design, and editing.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

macs these days are just like any other computer, thet use intel processors. so you can install windows on them, and it will work fine. infact the new macbook pro's run games amazingly. they are pretty sweet.
MakazeGamer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by MakazeGamer »

Yea i was using a hackintosh version of leopard. It was my real first experience of macs on my own outside of schools stupid limitations. And i would say that i was impressed..........for a little while but then it just felt like it was too much glamor to it making it look fancy and i just did not like it all to well.
Willshire The Mad
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Some basic flash projects for school
Favorite Gaming Platforms: X-Box 360 for now

Post by Willshire The Mad »

Bootcamp? im sorry that one went over my head, me no understand.
Oh I know games run well on it I got spore a few months ago and it runs very smoothly. I do use it for design most of the time but I just needed something to hold me over in a boring class. or when I am on break.
Spork
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

Macbook pros running vista are the fastest Windows Notebooks on the market! ~_^

Source: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/irony/macboo ... 317060.php
This is the internet, men are men, women are men and children are the FBI.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

avansc wrote:
DJ Yoshi wrote:Just get the regular macbook--the only real difference is the pro has firewire.

Sigh.
You can get the same CPU in the macbook, ram? Seriously? RAM is so dirt cheap you shouldn't be talking to me about that right now. Same with the harddrive. And they both use the same graphics chipset. The pro is just that--for pro users. People who use their computer for video editing (that's why the firewire port still exists there). It's no better or worse than the regular macbook anymore.

The 9400 integrated/9600 dedicated chipset is fuckin awesome though. Runs just about any game after you use Crossover, Parallels, or Bootcamp.

Also, they're not "specialized for design". That's like saying a calculator's specialized for doing division. And no, they're not the fastest notebooks out by a longshot. That article's over a year old, and for a reason--shortly thereafter they came out with the C2Duos on laptops, fast ddr2, ssd's (which macbooks don't have, sorry to tell you), and another slew of good mobile chipsets.
There is no signature.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I own a PC desktop (home made) and a PC laptop running vista.

I sometimes wished I waited a little while, saved £200 more, and bought a macbook(instead of the laptop)... but now that you mention that only the Pro carries firewire, I would be a little less inclined.

It depends what you want I guess, I personally categorise macs as entertainment/entertainment industry laptops, they are geared towards movie editing, and audio composition, right?

If you want compatibility with the bulk of software, you would go for a pc right? not so these days, as you can use bootcamp, so I think one of the big barriers for many people getting a mac, is the price tag, and lack of knowledge on how they work. Being a pc user, I would feel a bit of anxiety investing in a machine that works considerably different, at least different enough to warrant some concern.

as for development, I know very little about the IDEs that are available for the mac.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

DJ Yoshi wrote:
avansc wrote:

Sigh.
You can get the same CPU in the macbook, ram? Seriously? RAM is so dirt cheap you shouldn't be talking to me about that right now. Same with the harddrive. And they both use the same graphics chipset. The pro is just that--for pro users. People who use their computer for video editing (that's why the firewire port still exists there). It's no better or worse than the regular macbook anymore.

The 9400 integrated/9600 dedicated chipset is fuckin awesome though. Runs just about any game after you use Crossover, Parallels, or Bootcamp.

Also, they're not "specialized for design". That's like saying a calculator's specialized for doing division. And no, they're not the fastest notebooks out by a longshot. That article's over a year old, and for a reason--shortly thereafter they came out with the C2Duos on laptops, fast ddr2, ssd's (which macbooks don't have, sorry to tell you), and another slew of good mobile chipsets.

whoa buddy, you said the only real difference is firewire. thats like saying the only read difference between a ferrari and a toyota, the the horse emblem. because engines are so cheap, and bla bla bla. the fact is the are two different computers and if you have worked with them you would know. im note saying its worth that much more money, but if i was gonna buy a mac, id wouldent fuck around with getting the base moddel. and PS: you cant get the same CPU in the macbook, the best mackbook is 2.4 the base pro is 2.54 and best pro is 2.8. so you dont know much.
And they both use the same graphics chipset. The pro is just that--for pro users. People who use their computer for video editing (that's why the firewire port still exists there). It's no better or worse than the regular macbook anymore
thats just not true. the pro has standard a GT256MB dedicated card, with option of a 512mb, the macbook has neither and does not have an option for it.
ssd's (which macbooks don't have, sorry to tell you)
are you kidding me? do some research.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

avansc wrote:
DJ Yoshi wrote:
avansc wrote:

Sigh.

whoa buddy, you said the only real difference is firewire. thats like saying the only read difference between a ferrari and a toyota, the the horse emblem. because engines are so cheap, and bla bla bla. the fact is the are two different computers and if you have worked with them you would know. im note saying its worth that much more money, but if i was gonna buy a mac, id wouldent fuck around with getting the base moddel. and PS: you cant get the same CPU in the macbook, the best mackbook is 2.4 the base pro is 2.54 and best pro is 2.8. so you dont know much.
And they both use the same graphics chipset. The pro is just that--for pro users. People who use their computer for video editing (that's why the firewire port still exists there). It's no better or worse than the regular macbook anymore
thats just not true. the pro has standard a GT256MB dedicated card, with option of a 512mb, the macbook has neither and does not have an option for it.
ssd's (which macbooks don't have, sorry to tell you)
are you kidding me? do some research.
So my friend sitting here with his macbook pro doesn't know anything either...

Also, in a laptop you will almost never, ever, ever use a 2.8ghz c2d processor. And the only real difference IS the screen size and firewire, as far as functionality goes. The macbook still comes with the integrated/dedicated card (9400m and 9600m respectively), at least the new one does (obviously the old one doesn't), and RAM is about 40 bucks for 2gb and hard drives are about 120 bucks for a terabyte. So yeah, instead of paying 1300 bucks for the upgrade, I'd rather throw down 1300 base and spend 200 on the same shit.
There is no signature.