The Best Graphics Artist Ever.

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

The Best Graphics Artist Ever.

Post by dandymcgee »

Okay so I was reading LazyFoo's article on pixels and he presented the following:
Just as some food for thought, because all RGB pixels are a combination of 3 numbers, isn't it possible to count through all of them to show every possible color? And if images are combinations of pixels, isn't it possible to count through every possible combination of pixels and show you every image that could possibly exist?

Trippy, aint it? =)
I, being someone who is generally intrigued by abstract math problems and huge ass numbers thought about this. What if it was possible to store every single possible image that could be displayed on a monitor with 32-bit color and a 1024x768 resolution? Pretty much you'd have whatever image you could dream of already in an image file. But how many separate images would this actually be?

256 ^ 3 (each pixel has 3 values ranging from 0 - 255)
1024 * 768 (number of pixels on a screen with this resolution)
=
16,777,216 ^ 786,432 (number of possible different images that could be displayed)

Apparently a few other people have thought about this, because google did come up with a few results when I searched for it. I tried it in Windows' Calculator (quite obviously realizing it couldn't possible solve it) and got "Invalid Input For Function". What if this were possible though? Less colors and a much lower resolution? You have to admit having a database of every possible screenshot would be awesome to browse through haha.

How much does this injure YOUR brain? :lol:

P.S. feel free to correct my awesome math skills :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: The Best Graphics Artist Ever.

Post by MarauderIIC »

Now to just calculate the size of a jpeg at 90% quality to see how big a hd you'd need to store them.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
JosephCh7
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by JosephCh7 »

a jpg? screenshots shouldn't be saved as a jpg...ever, unless it's a fancy 3D game where the jpgs artifacts actually adds a slight anti alias to help improve the image quality, but that's not usually the case.
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Location: Minnesota, where "Cold as Hell" has real meaning...

Post by mllarson »

dandymcgee wrote: You have to admit having a database of every possible screenshot would be awesome to browse through haha.
So, given that, you could potentially be sued for having illegal copies of every single copyrighted image ever!
Mind-boggling, isn't it?
Where do I come up with stuff like this?
"Mmmm... these paint chips are scrumptious!"
Willshire The Mad
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Some basic flash projects for school
Favorite Gaming Platforms: X-Box 360 for now

Post by Willshire The Mad »

Now try it with CMYK. RGB is mainly for web display but if your going for print I would try for CMYK. I wonder what fun math can be had with that one.
Spork
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

So, given that, you could potentially be sued for having illegal copies of every single copyrighted image ever!
Mind-boggling, isn't it?
Where do I come up with stuff like this?
Counterfeiting money made easy? :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

I can see it already...Those desperate fools: "I can use this to get every possible piece of Pr0N!"
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

dandymcgee wrote: You have to admit having a database of every possible screenshot would be awesome to browse through haha.
You would have to browse a lot to find something that not would look... abstract...
Image ImageImage Image
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

XianForce wrote:I can see it already...Those desperate fools: "I can use this to get every possible piece of Pr0N!"
That was my first thoght, but then I started thinking bigger, all top secret government information ever :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote:
XianForce wrote:I can see it already...Those desperate fools: "I can use this to get every possible piece of Pr0N!"
That was my first thoght, but then I started thinking bigger, all top secret government information ever :twisted:
You wouldn't have any idea what text was true and what text was false, but you'd see every single possible combination :P
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Be that as it may, there would be a lot of awesome death machines that could be found :twisted:
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

you could start small, start off with an image the size of sprite, you would eventually come up with every 32x32(or whatever you do) sprite ever made, thenv just move on from there :lol:

could you imagine being able to generate a photo realistic picture of an event, that didn't even happen! You could get big bucks in terms of claiming you witnessed things (like seeing bigfoot)

The possibilities are endless!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
andrew
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by andrew »

Read this it's very relevant and interesting.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

This topic is starting to get boring, "So you can do it, but earthly limits say you can't..." Ok we get it, logicaly it's possible, but very unlikely....
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

This is like the "Give an infinite number of monkeys an infinite amount of keyboards and you'll eventually get the complete works of Shakespeare" thing. Works in theory but never in practice.