Programming Production

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Programming Production

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

I'm planning a 2D side scroller and am subbing-out the programming since I do not know how to program. I figured that this is the right place to come for information.

Any recommendations how to go about this as a team coordinator? From what I have been seeing, the different aspects of game programming include, but are not limited to 1)the game engine, 2) user-input, 3) AI, 4)game physics, 5)interface. Maybe I left some out, but even for the simplest of games, all this seems to be a big task for just one programmer. So if I have to hire 2-3 programmers to divvy up the tasks, how do I put it all together in the end to complete the final product?
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Programming Production

Post by Moosader »

So if you're not coding the game, what's your job?

Telling them what to do, without having an understanding of what is and is not possible for an amateur game?

If you want to make a platformer but don't want to learn to code, use Multimedia Fusion or Game Maker. Please don't rope (or attempt to) in people with some dumb project that will likely be overly designed as a result of your nativity towards programming.
Chances are, if you do "hire" any programmers-- if any programmers sign on to this idea-- they're going to be lousy programmers anyway and the whole things going to fail.

/pessimism.
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by Maevik »

LusikkaMage wrote:
/pessimism with a vengeance.
fixt
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Lusikka has a point. You will never find anybody who enjoys being your bitch. People don't slave for hours and hours to implement somebody else's ideas.
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

LusikkaMage wrote:So if you're not coding the game, what's your job?

Telling them what to do, without having an understanding of what is and is not possible for an amateur game?

If you want to make a platformer but don't want to learn to code, use Multimedia Fusion or Game Maker. Please don't rope (or attempt to) in people with some dumb project that will likely be overly designed as a result of your nativity towards programming.
Chances are, if you do "hire" any programmers-- if any programmers sign on to this idea-- they're going to be lousy programmers anyway and the whole things going to fail.

/pessimism.

I kindly ask to please not be insulted or attacked on a personal level when asking an innocent question with no harm intended. You really don't know anything about me and no one deserves to be put down. Thank you.

I did not state any of my capabilities, so I do not see how it was assumed that I am capable of doing nothing. I also didn't say that I am not willing (and have already begun) to study programming to gain a better understanding of it, even while I suck greatly at it; I only mentioned that I did not know how to. I did not think that was relevant to the question.

I would like to re-state the question. If there is a team consisting of more than one programmer, whose job is it to pull all of their work together into one piece? That is basically all I was getting at. Any insight about this would be greatly appreciated. Please, I am not here to argue or cause any fights; I would just like to learn.
Last edited by BlueMonkey5 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spikey
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Spikey »

If there is a team consisting of more than one programmer, whose job is it to pull all of their work together into one piece?
That would be a Lead Programmer, or possibly a Technical Director, which would then meet with the producer(s). Producers are responsible for producing the final product. This job can consist of setting up deadlines, and making sure things get done on schedule and budget.

And I don't think LusikkaMage or anyone intended to insult you, as their replies are just reflecting the reality.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

BlueMonkey5 wrote:I kindly ask to please not be insulted or attacked on a personal level when asking an innocent question with no harm intended. You really do not know me and no one deserves to be put down. Thank you.

I made a point to not insult or attack you. I said you were naive.

I, personally, feel that the coder should be the leader, and if not them than someone who has enough experience with programming.

At your level, you shouldn't even think about being in a team.

See: Game Development: Where to Begin http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... F8C4CB5498

GyroVorbis wrote:People don't slave for hours and hours to implement somebody else's ideas.
And, again, if you're not familiar with programming, you really will have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to implement some of the seemingly simplest things.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

I may seem harsh, but that is because I see this all too often. Someone else has an idea for a game, then "hires on" people to do all the real work while they think they can sit back and give orders and take credit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaRuQIXFKec
OMFG! I'M MAKING A KICK ASS SONIC FAN GAME! I JUST NEED C++/OPENGL PROGRAMMERS!!!1
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

OK. It was just a misunderstanding. Thank you for being honest.
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3

Post by Kros »

Its good that you're motivated and are interested in getting started on a project but, there is such a thing as jumping the gun. Keep that in mind and you'll be alright.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

well, one thing about me is that i can admit when i'm wrong, and well, i'm wrong and thats all there is to it. i thought about skippin out on programming cuz i failed C++ class twice a while ago and didnt want to try it again. but i'm going to have to do it anyway and maybe i didnt give it my best shot last time. so whatever. as far as what lussika said, i totally misunderstood her and i apologize for that. her frustration was towards all those kids out their who dream about making these games but aren't sure how to really do it. it's not their fault, they just don't know. nd getting frustrated at them doesnt do any good because real developers know that in five years their game won't be made, leaving those kids scratching their heads asking themselves 'what the heck went wrong?' just the basic laws of the universe i guess. Lusika, i still love you, and you'll always be the hottest one on the dev team, and not just because youre the only girl :D I've learned a lot so far.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

heheh. Not on the dev team anymore, sir.

But yeah, maybe if you're learning it at your own pace, with resources like the board to help you understand, you'll do a lot better than in a class that has a deadline.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

OMG rachel I love your new pic! ;) :mrgreen: :lol:
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

Youre not on the team anymore!?! What happended? Who do I gotta rough up to get you back on?? ;) and that is a very cute pic...haha
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

BlueMonkey5 wrote:Youre not on the team anymore!?! What happended? Who do I gotta rough up to get you back on?? ;) and that is a very cute pic...haha
Eh, I quit because I wasn't getting any work done, and trying to sync with an artist better than me was hard.