Texturing???

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Texturing???

Post by ibly31 »

Okay, so I'm fairly proficient with Blender, a 3D Modeling program, and I have been wanting to begin texturing my models for use in games. I don't really understand any of the texturing(UV face things, texture paint, vertex paint)... So here are a few of my questions. PS: I use .x files(DirectX 3D model format)

1. Is there a way to just paint the guy and export as a .BMP that i can set as a texture to in my game? I.E: In the game, I would add a new scene node, and set its properties, and set the texture to "guytexture.bmp" and it would texture it.

2. UV Face unwrap... I don't understand it... you unwrap the thing then make an image and move the faces onto the image... but how does the model know what wraps to what when you putting it in the game?

3. Texture paint? And vertex paint? How do you use these? Can it export as a .BMP file?

THanks fOr aLl yoUr HeLp evEryBody!
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Re: Texturing???

Post by MadPumpkin »

ibly31 wrote:Okay, so I'm fairly proficient with Blender, a 3D Modeling program, and I have been wanting to begin texturing my models for use in games. I don't really understand any of the texturing(UV face things, texture paint, vertex paint)... So here are a few of my questions. PS: I use .x files(DirectX 3D model format)

1. Is there a way to just paint the guy and export as a .BMP that i can set as a texture to in my game? I.E: In the game, I would add a new scene node, and set its properties, and set the texture to "guytexture.bmp" and it would texture it.

2. UV Face unwrap... I don't understand it... you unwrap the thing then make an image and move the faces onto the image... but how does the model know what wraps to what when you putting it in the game?

3. Texture paint? And vertex paint? How do you use these? Can it export as a .BMP file?

THanks fOr aLl yoUr HeLp evEryBody!
you've come to the right place! because i happen to make models and textures for WarcraftIII like... a lot
so
1. no lol its a bit more complicated then that ( a lot )
do you know how to unwrap a texture? if not, then click here...
because personally i don't know how, IN Blender anyways. i do it in Lightwave[8] and Milkshape3D

2. what you do, is make it so that different faces and polygons from your model, get textured by... well... different parts of your texture, then, you make your model textured by what ever model you were wanting ( done in programming part of your game )

3. i doubt directX models will let you texture something with a BMP, besides why would you want to?? use .png, .tga or even .jpeg is better then bmp

i'll add to this later im crashing, im tired
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

I do not know much about DirectX, however this is what I learnt from using openGL

Each vertex in a model has usually 5 ... dimensions? The x, y and z position, and then there's the U and V (sometimes called s and t) positions.

The U shows the X position of the vertex on the texture, and the V shows the Y position of the vertex on the texture. This means that when the whole model is drawn, it will be properly textured.

Of course if you're using graphics API's without helping libraries you would have to implement all that yourself. It's not hard, in fact it's pretty rewarding.

Let me put it this way; You are not going to progress with 3d modelling without being proficient in UV mapping
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

i know how to UV unwrap, and load an image and drag each face to different parts of the image, but is that info encoded in the .x file? And in the game ill just texture it with my .jpg or png?
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

ibly31 wrote:i know how to UV unwrap, and load an image and drag each face to different parts of the image, but is that info encoded in the .x file?
Usually it is. If you can export your model as an .x file it will retain the texture information, as well as any materials you may be using. In your program, you simply call the function to point to the current texture in memory you want to use, shortly before rendering the model.

This add-on script lets you export .x files from Blender.
http://directpython.sourceforge.net/exportx.html