Anyone else use a mac?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Anyone else use a mac?

Post by avansc »

DJ Yoshi wrote:
avansc wrote:
DJ Yoshi wrote:
avansc wrote:
DJ Yoshi wrote:Just get the regular macbook--the only real difference is the pro has firewire.

I want one so bad, but I'll be damned if I have the money for another computer at the moment.

Sigh.
huh? the pro has faster CPU, more ram. bigger HDD, much better graphics card.
You can get the same CPU in the macbook, ram? Seriously? RAM is so dirt cheap you shouldn't be talking to me about that right now. Same with the harddrive. And they both use the same graphics chipset. The pro is just that--for pro users. People who use their computer for video editing (that's why the firewire port still exists there). It's no better or worse than the regular macbook anymore.

The 9400 integrated/9600 dedicated chipset is fuckin awesome though. Runs just about any game after you use Crossover, Parallels, or Bootcamp.

Also, they're not "specialized for design". That's like saying a calculator's specialized for doing division. And no, they're not the fastest notebooks out by a longshot. That article's over a year old, and for a reason--shortly thereafter they came out with the C2Duos on laptops, fast ddr2, ssd's (which macbooks don't have, sorry to tell you), and another slew of good mobile chipsets.

whoa buddy, you said the only real difference is firewire. thats like saying the only read difference between a ferrari and a toyota, the the horse emblem. because engines are so cheap, and bla bla bla. the fact is the are two different computers and if you have worked with them you would know. im note saying its worth that much more money, but if i was gonna buy a mac, id wouldent fuck around with getting the base moddel. and PS: you cant get the same CPU in the macbook, the best mackbook is 2.4 the base pro is 2.54 and best pro is 2.8. so you dont know much.
And they both use the same graphics chipset. The pro is just that--for pro users. People who use their computer for video editing (that's why the firewire port still exists there). It's no better or worse than the regular macbook anymore
thats just not true. the pro has standard a GT256MB dedicated card, with option of a 512mb, the macbook has neither and does not have an option for it.
ssd's (which macbooks don't have, sorry to tell you)
are you kidding me? do some research.
So my friend sitting here with his macbook pro doesn't know anything either...

Also, in a laptop you will almost never, ever, ever use a 2.8ghz c2d processor. And the only real difference IS the screen size and firewire, as far as functionality goes. The macbook still comes with the integrated/dedicated card (9400m and 9600m respectively), at least the new one does (obviously the old one doesn't), and RAM is about 40 bucks for 2gb and hard drives are about 120 bucks for a terabyte. So yeah, instead of paying 1300 bucks for the upgrade, I'd rather throw down 1300 base and spend 200 on the same shit.
the 1300 base mac is only 2GHz, mac book can only go up to 2.4 , and pro to 2.8.
could you show me a laptop hard drivbe thats a TB for 120? and also, price is irrelevant in this discussion, you stated that they were the same laptop if you overlooked the firewire, and thats just wrong.

as you can see ther macbook does not have dedicated video memory and can not be upgraded to have any!
im kinda curious what next you are going to say.

http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ownedpr9.jpg

Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

there is no such thing as a terra byte laptop 2.5' hard drive, largest size is 500GB.
omg, nothing you say can be taken seriously.
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

I have an old powerbook I use now as a second computer, as soon as I have some money I will probaly get other a macbook pro or a mac pro depending on if I want a laptop or desktop.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

avansc wrote:there is no such thing as a terra byte laptop 2.5' hard drive, largest size is 500GB.
Whatever man, you win. I just don't care enough to call names and tell you you're stupid a million times. I think it has something to do with not being 14.

*queue "arguing on the internet pic"*
There is no signature.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

DJ Yoshi wrote:
avansc wrote:there is no such thing as a terra byte laptop 2.5' hard drive, largest size is 500GB.
Whatever man, you win. I just don't care enough to call names and tell you you're stupid a million times. I think it has something to do with not being 14.

*queue "arguing on the internet pic"*
i didnt call you names, you just made a statement that was clearly not true, (and i dont think you were trying to lie or anything, i just think you were miss informed), and i felt like it needed to be corrected. if i said something like, C++ and assembly are the same execpt for the compilers i would hope someone corrected me.

anyways, this is getting old. btw, not being able to debate something without inferring im immature is kinda lame.