One is the loneliest number...

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

One is the loneliest number...

Post by Kros »

So, I'm the only programmer on my team of two. The other guy is a long time friend of mine who is handling art and is co-designing with me; he thinks I'm a masochist for liking this whole coding dealio (and hes right).

I'm curious as to how other lone wolf programmers deal with design (from a programming perspective) without anyone to bounce ideas off of.

Just solo it and figure things out yourself? Try to abstract away from programming concepts to something more general?

I'd really like to discuss how we want to break up our game idea from a OOP standpoint but, it would all go straight over his head if I started using terms like class, inheritance, encapsulation, etc.

Just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts. :)

Edit: can't spell
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: One is the loneliest number...

Post by dandymcgee »

Do what I do:

Toss your ideas around right here on the forums and let all these wonderful programmers pick it apart to nothingness and help you make it PERFECT. :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Kros wrote: he thinks I'm a masochist for liking this whole coding dealio (and hes right).
Friends(especially artist friends). they just don't get it do they? :lol:

as for having someone to bounce my ideas off, that would be super, but i'm not aware of anyone who I know who knows how to program in C/C++ and has actually heard of SDL, let alone use the thing...

Gosh I reckon my mate used to think I was a complete arse when I would tell him to draw some 40x40 sprites in .PNG and then he would come back with 50x50 in .BMP and I would proceed to tell him why I couldn't use them...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

Kros wrote:Edit: can't spell
Dude get, Mozilla Firefox it has a automatic spell check... i use it... im just a lazy ass(to stuburn to admit i spelled something wrong) and don't change the things even though it tells me to lol

SO on a more important note. i ENTIRELY game dev on my own... welll...i still suck but im getting there!
what iv'e got, is about 4 freinds who are video game addicts and know some pretty damn good ideas for video games... SO when i think ive got somehintg good i go thorw the idea at them, and they reflect on it, or just tell me its Godly.
(besides the fact that one of my best freinds knows C\++\# better then he knows english)

but for you! i'd probably use The Chaos Rift more then i do lol
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kros »

MadPumpkin wrote:
Kros wrote:Edit: can't spell
Dude get, Mozilla Firefox it has a automatic spell check... i use it... im just a lazy ass(to stuburn to admit i spelled something wrong) and don't change the things even though it tells me to lol
Have it. Doesn't check subject boxes. I misspelled loneliest as lonliest. Fail.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I usually bother people on AIM or IRC or GTalk :p
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
LuciDreamTheater
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by LuciDreamTheater »

To make Firefox check textboxes, type about:config into address bar, then go to layout.spellCheckDefault and change the value to 2.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

Luckily, I have a few SDL/OpenGL programmer friends IRL I can chat with, even if I'm not working with them. :P
teamtwentythree
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by teamtwentythree »

Well I don't know that I have any sage wisdom on code design in particular, just that you will probably rewrite your entire game at least once cumulatively over your development. I'm probably at about two rewrites right now. Be that changing APIs, or dealing with emerging issues or just cleaning up stuff you knew you coded crapily to begin with. Unless you've done a ton of games/general programming before you'll encouter a bunch of stuff you need to redo, don't fight it, don't get depressed/discouraged, it happens.

The most important thing is to get something running that you can interact with. Solo work feeds off progress, you need to be able to see it. I was lucky in that I had both my own motivation and an external due date for the prototype of my current project. About a week in I had the rudimentary game together, its been a couple years since then and my game has pretty much been runable except for a week or two when I converted from OpenGL to Ogre. It will also feed your artist if he/she can see it coming together. Its not going to be full featured and none of the original code may survive to the final build. But the biggest risk to indie/hobby dev is never finishing, its not perf or code design or anything like that.
Spikey
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Spikey »

I'd really like to discuss how we want to break up our game idea from a OOP standpoint
It's nice to have a design document right now because you can scan for what you need.
One method I discovered was list all your objects and actions. Start with nouns, list all nouns in your project, they will be classes.
For example we will use a mario game. So nouns/objects:
Mario, flower power up, 1up, mushroom, star, goomba, block, coin block, bowser, mean fire spitting flowers, etc...

Now to get functions and variables, list the verbs (actions or states of being)
Mario can: die, jump, shoot fire, crouch, be in star mode, swim, say ma ma mia, etc.

and thats one way of breaking down games.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

teamtwentythree wrote:Well I don't know that I have any sage wisdom on code design in particular, just that you will probably rewrite your entire game at least once cumulatively over your development. I'm probably at about two rewrites right now. Be that changing APIs, or dealing with emerging issues or just cleaning up stuff you knew you coded crapily to begin with. Unless you've done a ton of games/general programming before you'll encouter a bunch of stuff you need to redo, don't fight it, don't get depressed/discouraged, it happens.

The most important thing is to get something running that you can interact with. Solo work feeds off progress, you need to be able to see it. I was lucky in that I had both my own motivation and an external due date for the prototype of my current project. About a week in I had the rudimentary game together, its been a couple years since then and my game has pretty much been runable except for a week or two when I converted from OpenGL to Ogre. It will also feed your artist if he/she can see it coming together. Its not going to be full featured and none of the original code may survive to the final build. But the biggest risk to indie/hobby dev is never finishing, its not perf or code design or anything like that.
I rewrite my projects all the time, infact I think the average is 3 or 4 times a project.... :lol:
Daxtorax
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, N64, Xbox 360

Post by Daxtorax »

I know the feeling of being the only coder on my team, but I've been trying to teach him programming. He's slowly picking it up and I know that others would disagree with my teaching style, but I started him off on a simple basic language I created myself, I'm adding it as a library for c++ so that he can do scripting etc. for the project. Maybe if you try to start your friend off with simple tasks in an easier language then slowly build him towards an object oriented language like c++. Just my suggestion.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Don't get the wrong idea, teams suck too.

It's lonelier when you are the only person in an entire team of people who is motivated to work than if you were motivated alone.
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kros »

GyroVorbis wrote:Don't get the wrong idea, teams suck too.

It's lonelier when you are the only person in an entire team of people who is motivated to work than if you were motivated alone.
Oh, yeah, I know that. I've had that issue a lot in pretty much every project I've ever tried to start with a team.
YouTube Channel
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

GyroVorbis wrote:It's lonelier when you are the only person in an entire team of people who is motivated to work than if you were motivated alone.
Or, it sucks when you and the other lead programmer and the designer are super-busy with school, and the newbie coder ("classes scare me" -him) is trying to light a fire under our asses, and taking over the design doc and writing several more for some reason. D: