Quickdev16 SNES Dev Cart

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Quickdev16 SNES Dev Cart

Post by Trask »

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/26/quic ... ames-no-o/

Alrighty, for you SNES fans there is a new homebrew tool that you can use. Transfer your code via USB and plug it right into the console itself and boot it up. I apologize if the link is screwed up, it would not surprise me with this proxy. If that is the case, just go to engadget.com or google quickdev16. I cannot get to any other sites on this from work, but I figured I would post this for the masses. I wonder if it comes with tools or some form of an api, I doubt it....
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Quickdev16 SNES Dev Cart

Post by Falco Girgis »

That is pretty fucking cool. I would love to buy one of those. I was actually thinking the other day how much I would love to design my own console/PC hardware interface to let me dev on such things.
casey0102
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by casey0102 »

If you would like to build your own console and code some games for it you should check out the hydra game development kit, it allows you to build your own console. More information is available here http://www.xgamestation.com/index.php and there are other development kits available plus upgrades. There is also a book "The Black Art of Video Game Console Design" which the site sells, though I think it is in ebook form, but you can get a print copy from amazon the last time I checked. I think it looks pretty cool and if I had more time I would like to get it and play around with it.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

SNES, my long forgotten love...
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

coincidently I just bought a SNES off eBay, and although I probably wont tinker around with it quite yet, it will be very interesting to see if a "rebooted" homebrew scene comes from this type of chip, that would be fantastic.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

$120? Thats more than the SNES! :lol:
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Oh devving for the snes. I'm in love.

Seriously,in love. I wouldn't even mind doing it in assembly.

Ok I might, it would be cool to be able to do it in C, but I doubt that's the case. I'm sure we get to use the lovely assembly language the processor in the snes was designed for.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
imran.hoshimi
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Nothing. :(
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBox360, PS2, SNES and almost all of them.

Post by imran.hoshimi »

casey0102 wrote:If you would like to build your own console and code some games for it you should check out the hydra game development kit, it allows you to build your own console. More information is available here http://www.xgamestation.com/index.php and there are other development kits available plus upgrades. There is also a book "The Black Art of Video Game Console Design" which the site sells, though I think it is in ebook form, but you can get a print copy from amazon the last time I checked. I think it looks pretty cool and if I had more time I would like to get it and play around with it.
That's the company run by Andre Lamothe. He is a genius and on of my favourite author. He has written the Tricks series.
davidthefat wrote:$120? Thats more than the SNES! :lol:
Probably worth it. :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

short wrote:Oh devving for the snes. I'm in love.

Seriously,in love. I wouldn't even mind doing it in assembly.

Ok I might, it would be cool to be able to do it in C, but I doubt that's the case. I'm sure we get to use the lovely assembly language the processor in the snes was designed for.
Yeah, there's not a chance in hell that you would be seeing a C compiler on SNES. ;)
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360

Post by Trask »

Really? I'm not doubting you as I know nothing on the subject of SNES deving, but I have run into a C Genesis compiler before and even though they're 2 separate consoles, they're from around the same time period so I would of assumed that the tools of the trade wouldn't be entirely dissimilar. Again, not arguing, I'm just kinda surprised to hear that, tis all.

I'm sure either way that knowing a bit of ASM going into these consoles would never hurt as it's pretty much the way the developers did it back then. Even Ed Boon didn't touch C/C++ with the home versions of Mortal Kombat until the arcade industry became 2nd fiddle to the console wars.
Last edited by Trask on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
andrew
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by andrew »

short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

oh mai this could be interesting whenever I get some free time.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
animangaman690
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: TDS
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, C#

Post by animangaman690 »

casey0102 wrote:If you would like to build your own console and code some games for it you should check out the hydra game development kit, it allows you to build your own console. More information is available here http://www.xgamestation.com/index.php and there are other development kits available plus upgrades. There is also a book "The Black Art of Video Game Console Design" which the site sells, though I think it is in ebook form, but you can get a print copy from amazon the last time I checked. I think it looks pretty cool and if I had more time I would like to get it and play around with it.
I've seen this before , you have program in BASIC.